Many people are often confused when faced with 2 choices between VPS vs Cloud Hosting. Because they don't know the difference between the two, it is difficult for them to find a service that suits their needs. For example, when looking at services such as medium to high level clouds.
Usually the price is like VPS hosting. Even though when talking about the advantages, it is clear that VPS is equipped with many advantages. Both from features and performance. Then what is the difference between the two? Especially when looking for hosting services online, there are now many providers available that offer varying prices.
You can find the cheapest to the most expensive according to your needs. All of them have their own advantages. So with different functions, the price will also be different. Among the current hosting services, Cloud and VPS are almost similar in features. Therefore, we explain the difference between VPS vs Cloud Hosting.
As the name implies, this is a virtual server created specifically to meet the business needs of an institution. So how it works utilizes virtualization technology. So that in 1 existing physical server will be divided into several virtual parts for one user only.
That means in 1 virtual private server account will not be combined with other users as happens with shared hosting. When looking for differences from VPS vs Cloud Hosting, in this case a virtual private server allows you to freely use space as needed.
Both from the operating system, hosting panel, and also the applications you want to install. That is why the service results are more optimal because there are no restrictions on customization by the provider. It's just that if you want to use it well, you have to know the technique first about how the server works so that the results are maximized.
For how it works itself, it actually works into a physical server whose capacity is very large. After that, the size capacity is divided into several virtual servers to be smaller. Even though it is on the same physical server, each part is not connected to each other.
- Security configurations are fully managed by the VPS owner, who can modify security configurations that are stricter than those of shared hosting.
- You get root access. Root access allows you to make settings according to your needs.
- You can expand the VPS capacity if needed over time.
- Requires more in-depth knowledge related to servers and Linux operating systems.
- More expensive compared to shared hosting and cloud hosting
This is an example of a virtual server that offers 1 dedicated set for users and is already protected by machine resources. In each infrastructure, each cloud always provides the ability to scale server resources on demand.
So each cloud server always has allocated CPU space, disk, memory, etc. That's because it can't be oversold. So this allows the technology to be used as 1 for storage (additional disks virtually).
In VPS vs Cloud Hosting, the cloud can turn one or more servers into virtual CPUs or computing nodes. This means that each platform can run several virtual servers at once. Seeing this, cloud technology is very different from VPS when viewed from the number of servers.
The cloud utilizes several servers which are then combined into 1. So that in 1 server can be used by several users at once. So when rented, users just use it directly. This is the same as cloud technology. So you don't have to have any special skills when renting it. Because in this case the hosting has been managed directly by the Hosting provider. That means users just pay and use it directly.
In essence, cloud technology works like a VPS. This technology relies on only 1 physical server, but the cloud works on several real servers at once. That's why it's called cloud technology because it works like clouds that are piled on top of each other to become large.
Pros of Cloud Hosting
- Cloud hosting uses multiple servers so that when a problem occurs, there is a server that backs up unlike other hosting that only uses a single server, making this service reliable.
- Scalability and flexibility. You can add resources as needed.
- Cost and labor efficient. You get the performance of a VPS-like server with the convenience of shared hosting.
Disadvantages of Cloud Hosting
- Relatively more expensive than shared hosting
- In terms of price, Cloud technology is more affordable than using VPS services. But if you use the highest Cloud service, the price can be used to rent a VPS complete with various advantages. So you should adjust your needs when choosing one of the two.
- Speaking of performance, VPS is better than Cloud technology. When using it, users are free to customize the server virtually. It's just that you have to be able to set it up properly because it is unmanaged. This means that all configurations must be done by yourself. So if you don't want to bother setting it up, the cloud can be the solution.
- For the difference between VPS vs Cloud Hosting seen from the capacity is actually almost the same. The difference is only seen from the hardware specifications. If someone uses RAID SSD, it means that the speed is better than ordinary capacity. So even though the capacity is the same, you should check the hardware because it can affect the speed of website access.
- For customization here, VPS is much more free to use. You can install the operating system, set up the web panel, and applications freely. So you can use only important applications so that the server is not heavy. Meanwhile, the Cloud cannot do customization because everything is already there, just use it.
Each hosting has its own advantages and disadvantages. Everything depends on the use of each service. For example, if you want a secure server, then VPS is the choice because only 1 account is used. Meanwhile, Cloud technology has been managed by the provider itself.
So even though it is safe, remember that 1 server is interconnected with others. So the level of security still needs to be considered again. Furthermore, when looking in terms of performance, both are equally good. The only difference is in terms of data customization usage.
If you are looking for freedom of customization, then VPS can be chosen. Because each system configuration can be set manually. So users can use the application according to their needs. However, its use can usually only be done by experts.
It is not recommended for laymen to use this service. Because without knowledge about technical issues, you cannot utilize the features properly. Meanwhile, if you are still a layman, you should use the Cloud because there are already tools that can be used directly.
Each server configuration will be assisted by the service provider directly. So users can just use it. Seeing this, it's time for you to make a choice. Because seen from anywhere, VPS vs Cloud Hosting is actually a service that is equally profitable.
Hopefully useful and Thank you.